Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 18:05:19 -0500

On Thursday 06 February 2003 17:35, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> David Sugar said:
> > I did not specifically suggest this event should be "boycotted" or that
> > I have  called for any form of "boycott", so please do not imply this; I
> > mealy stated  that I chose to not attend it.  However, I tend to think
> > people of conscious  will likely make the same choice and certainly
> > people are free to make up  their own minds.
>
> I worded myself poorly.  Two clarifications.
>
> 1. I do not necessarily believe events calling things Open Source should
> be avoided like the plague.  I think the benefit vs harm needs to be
> weighed on a case by case basis.  This particular event my gripe is that
> they are lumping "shared source" into the "open source" category, which is
> extremely damaging.

Yes, extremely.  I also interpreted it in this way and I am glad we both see
this the exact same way.

> 2. I accidently through poor choice of words, implied that David was
> boycotting this event.  When what I should have made clear was that David
> was making a good choice by avoiding this event (imho), but that I would
> recommend that GNUe as a whole boycott (avoid) it.
>
> -Derek

I am not suggesting a boycott is nessisarly a bad idea either, just that I had
not proposed one :).  I think it would be useful to hear from a few more
people before calling for such a boycott, however.  Bradley would have been a
good choice to hear from, but unfortunately he is away until the middle of
Febuary.