Re: [hangout] Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [hangout] Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 19:00:07 -0500

I know everyone has expressed strong concerns about this conference and what
has happened and at least some believe immediate action must be taken in
response to the situation.  I think the important question is what form of
action should be taken that is likely to have a favorable outcome for Free
Software.  Also, I do consider it possible that some of the other organizers
of this event simply made a bad choice in judgement or were misled without
being fully aware of what they were doing, the implications of their action,
or the ways that thier event is being misused as a result.

Since I have no other contacts other than Tony I do not know the other
organizers of this event.  Certainly I had not talked with anyone else
involved in their event before making my own decision.  I do know that if we
create an immediate and public confrontation it would become far harder for
them to choose to alter their current plans if some of them would have been
open to doing so, and would also immediately limit our choice of options to a
single and fixed course of action.

While I completely understand the reasons that both Ruben and Derek have
suggested that we have a boycott of this event, and that Jay has expressed
for a public protest, and I think everyone has well expressed what particular
grievences exists, I have not heard anyone say or suggest any single course
of action we would actually want to try and get them to do.  I suggest
thinking about what our goal really should be, and after that, then seeing if
and how best we can achieve that goal.  Is our goal to have Microsoft removed
from the venue?  Is it to have an effective platform and representation of
our views at the conference to correct any mis-information they are
permitting Microsoft to portray?  Is it something else?