Re: [gnugo-devel] SlugGo v.s. Many Faces

From: David G Doshay
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] SlugGo v.s. Many Faces
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:08:49 -0700

On Aug 24, 2004, at 4:55 AM, address@hidden wrote:

David Doshay wrote:

We are now confident that we are indeed much stronger than GNU Go
because of our results against Many Faces of Go.

David Fotland wrote:

When you say you look ahead depth 16, what do you mean?

From each candidate move we use GNU Go's engine to generate 15
more moves, and then evaluate the resulting boards. The results from
evaluating the final whole boards are combined with the GNU Go value
to determine which candidate move we play.

  How do you select the move(s) to try?

GNU Go has an array the size of the board upon which it sprinkles values
from a variety of algorithms. GNU Go would select the point with the largest value to be the move. We generate 2 of these arrays, one from our perspective, the US array, and one from the opponent's perspective if we were to pass, the
THEIR array, and cull some number of candidate moves from the top values
in the two arrays. (see supplied link below)

How many moves do you try at each ply?

At the very first ply we split out as many as 8 ways, although the algorithm
does not always try 8 different paths. Depending upon how quickly the
GNU Go move values drop off we might do as few as 2, and if the US and
the THEIR moves are both the same then there is only one choice.

For the results presented in the original email there was no further branching on the lookahead paths out to depth 16. As a quite interesting and as yet unexplained note, a lookahead depth of 12 is horrible, while depths of 10, 8, 6, and 4 all show a monotonic and somewhat smooth decrease from the results for a lookahead depth of 16. I have no idea why 12 would stand out as giving
such poor results, but we see it consistently.

Impressive results.

Thanks, it has us smiling!

Indeed, this is excellent. As David Fotland's comment indicates,
a better description of your search strategy would be very
desirable.

Check out the diagrams at

http://cowboy.directgames.net:81/research/SlugGo/documentation/sluggo- system_overview.pdf

We have not yet implemented the hash table functions indicated on the diagrams. These functions are being implemented in an attempt to save the time of recalculating the
lookahead moves we have previously generated.

The curves on page 5 indicate weighting functions that are used as multipliers for the
values returned by the influence and territory functions.

I see that there is a typo on page 6 in the cloud where it should say "reply" rather than
replay.

I want to emphasize that these results were obtained with very little tuning of the very many parameters we have in our additions to GNU Go, and thus these results are still preliminary. There are a large number of things we can do which we believe will make
the play stronger.

In the "Big Picture" sense, we have applied some simple ideas with lots of computing power to see what we could find. With respect to the recent thread on the subject of fast v.s. slow computing, I think this is only a glimpse of what can be done with plenty
of silicon and longer compute times.

Cheers,
David