Re: Contributing to GNU Herds

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Contributing to GNU Herds
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:18:41 +0000

Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > I am happy to comment as a potential user of the site, because
> > although still not free software IMO (because I do not have the
> > freedom to adapt it to my needs without the expense of the AGPL),
>
> As you know, you are free to adapt it, you just have to contribute back
> your modifications if you publish your website.  It is the same than the
> GPLv2 when you distribute a desktop program.
>
> You get something, you give something.

No, there is no equivalent requirement to give the sources to all
users in GPLv2.  I can let friends use applications from my system,
even displaying on their X display, without becoming a distributor
unless I choose to.

You get something, but you are only required to give downstream.  If
you are merely a user, not a distributor, then there is no cost.  I
feel it is important to retain this choice and not attempt to "force
cooperation" (which I believe is absurd, in line with the ICA
principles).

[...]
> > Unless it brings some benefit, I do not want to be listed on the team
> > of this AGPL-using project.  Does it bring any benefit?
>
> I thought exposing your key contributions was a must. I have deleted such
> entry.  Feel free to ask for being added at any time, or add yourself.

Feel free to report that I've commented, if you want, but I do not
want to be part of the production team at this time.  Thanks,