Re: task 7471: Wishlist

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: task 7471: Wishlist
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 10:44:21 +0100

Federico Giménez Nieto wrote:
> > The ideal would be be able to configure the behavior at the "Settings"
> > section of the webapp [1].  So users could choose to receive it or not.
> > By default enabled.
> >
> >   [1] http://gnuherds.org/settings
>
> What could be the steps for this to be done? I would propose these, in two
> blocks:
>
> 1. Allow the notice owners to configure the feature:
>
>    1.1. Add a field to the data scheme, A1_alerts table, so that this
>         setting can be saved for the owners

Suggestion:

   A1_AlertMeOnMyOwnNotices   bool   NOT NULL   DEFAULT 'true'

>    1.2. Modify the alerts 'get' data process so that the status is
>         retrieved from the data base:
>
>           * Layer-5__DB_operation/Alerts.php
>                 getAlertsForEntity() method.
>
>           * Layer-2__Business_logic/content/forms/Alert_forms.php
>                 loadAlertsForm() method.

>    1.3. Modify the template view for the settings page, so that the
>         check box appears:
>
>           * Layer-0__Site_entry_point/templates/Alert_forms.tpl

>    1.4. Modify the alerts 'set' data process on page submission, for
>         saving the check status:
>
>           * Layer-2__Business_logic/content/forms/Alert_forms.php
>                 saveAlertsForm() method.
>
>           * Layer-5__DB_operation/Alerts.php
>                 saveAlertsForEntity() method.

Great! You could carry out the above steps and reply to this email with the
proposed patch to review it.

> 2. Send email to owner only if it is configured to do so: modify
>    the 'get' data proccess to obtain the email addresses so that
>    the owner email is only get when configured:
>
>      * Layer-5__DB_operation/Entity.php
>            getAlertsEmails() method.

It is not possible due to the way the below cron script works:

       * crontabs/raise_NewJobOffer_Alert.php

Such PHP script get emails to send the alerts, and the alert theyself.  If we
do not add such email then such user will not receive alerts not only for its
new notices but also for other notices.

That is to say, IMHO such method must add such email too, and at
raise_NewJobOffer_Alert.php  ignore it but only for his notices, not for
other.

About this point 2, I have commit the DonationPledgeGroups alerts feature
merging it with the JobOffers one.   To work it out I am going to modify the
raise_NewJobOffer_Alert.php, renaming it to:

       * crontabs/raise_NewNotice_Alert.php

Let me work out such merge-and-commit, and them we will come back to talk
about this point 2.

So, You could carry out the above point 1 steps and reply to this email with
the proposed patch to be reviewed.

As usual, what do you think?  Do you agree?