Re: [Gnumed-devel] proper English term needed for medication

From: edodd
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] proper English term needed for medication
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:33:00 +1100 (EST)

> Also in this table, I wondered for a moment I wondered
> whether .duration could take either an interval-based value (when
> known exactly) or when not known exactly could take the value of short-
> term or long-term
>

> IOW:
>
> if duration is null, the category of medication could be short-term or
> long-term
>
> if the medication category is long-term, does that mean the duration
> should be nulled?
>
> do we acknowledge potential ambiguity between
>       duration as "intended"
>       duration as "elapsed time since started .clin_when"
>       duration as 'how long did they take it, if they stopped on or before
> today"

even long-term has a duration
this is the time that the prescription could last if taken as directed

so long-term stays on the screen, and doesn´t leave the list at the end of
the duration
short-term is dropped off the screen

> if a duration is specified and is understood to mean "as intended or
> post-hoc actual", should a specified duration be construed to mean
> short-term, or maybe still the medication could be intended as long-
> term with the duration used to pre-specify a plan of reassessment?

our systems just drop the short-term stuff
the concept of the end of the time prompting a review is handled in our
system by a separate review / recall listing