Re: [Gnumed-devel] proper English term needed for medication

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] proper English term needed for medication
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:46:04 +0100

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 07:33:00AM +1100, address@hidden wrote:

> even long-term has a duration

Only if mixed with administrative concerns:

> this is the time that the prescription could last if taken as directed

What we are working on for the time being is a medication
list that is (as yet) unencumbered by such practicalities
:-)

In that sense, long-term is to mean "expected to be needed
for a long and rather indefininite time".

> so long-term stays on the screen, and doesn´t leave the list at the end of
> the duration
> short-term is dropped off the screen

Automatically ?   I would rather wish in my list it somehow
get marked as "finished" prompting (conceptually, not yet
technically) my review. This is what Jim suggested IMO (by
grouping drugs).

> > if a duration is specified and is understood to mean "as intended or
> > post-hoc actual", should a specified duration be construed to mean
> > short-term, or maybe still the medication could be intended as long-
> > term with the duration used to pre-specify a plan of reassessment?
>
> our systems just drop the short-term stuff

I see. While it seems convenient to me I also feel it has
some risk associated with it such as when a long-term drug
was accidentally marked as short-term with a duration of 2
weeks. Patient comes back in 3 months, feeling just as well
with or without the drug (the crux of non-symptomatic
hypertension), and the drug being forgotten.