Re: [Gnustep-cvs] GNUstep Testfarm Results

From: riccardo_mottola
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] GNUstep Testfarm Results
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:26:26 +0200

Hello,

On Friday, August 11, 2006, at 12:02 AM, Adam Fedor wrote:

I narrowed it down to one method, but that doesn't really help much. On the solaris, I'm still using the 2.95 compiler, mostly to check for backward compatibility. Perhaps I should just upgrade and start deprecating support for gcc 2.95?

I used to regularly test on gcc 2.95 the core libraries on various platforms. It is just that lately I was too busy with other important life tasks.

In any case, and I know I think differently than several people here, I would prefer to retain gcc 2.95 compatibility at least for the core libraries and, if possible, for all "GNUstep supplied" applications. Or, at least, the fundamental ones: gorm, project center, system preferences and if possible gworkspace.

I do not want to enter the eternal gcc 2.9 versus gcc3.x or gcc 4.x discussion. Mountains of ascii bytes have been spilled about that. I know 2.95 has many problems. Even Linus Torvalds spoke about the issue. I just want to remember that newer gcc's are not a good option on more than one platform (mostly because of C++, not because of obj-c or C itself) and that gcc guys aren't that happy anymore to fix problems on arcane platforms as they did on 2.9 series. Furthermore not everybody may want to upgrade gcc (possibly because the box is managed by others and 2.95 is the easiest choice) and having more than one compiler installed (of which some are incomplete, like lacking C++ or in any case have big api differences like 2.95 and 3.x have) is cumbersome.

Of course this does not apply top linux/x86 which almost everyone uses. It is just for the 1% of the remaining 1%. But it is one of the reasons why I always liked gnustep.

Regarding solaris and the bug in discussion, I have gcc 3.x installed so we can check this out too. On Sparc but OpenBSD I have 2.95.

I will resume testing on more arcane platforms ASAP.

Have fun,
  Riccardo