Re: Next GNUstep release?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Next GNUstep release?
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 20:53:22 +0100

To scale this discussion down a bit. The only thing that currently stops you from using an older version of gcc. Is the GCC_VERSION variable in the Version file of base. I am not aware of any specific change that would deliberately break older compilers. It is just that we don't officially support them any more. There is nothing stopping you to change that variable and try to use GNUstep with an older version of gcc. What we wont do is process bug reports that result out of such tests.

As for releasing gui and back for the last base release, we just missed the point to do so. It would have been possible right after the last base release, but now the code in gui is only tested with the SVN version of base and although I am again not aware of anything that changed in base that is required by gui, it is left to daring users to really test this. What we should aim for is to have a set of modules that work together. If the gui version also works well with an older base version, fine.

So far there has been only Riccardo's reply whether there should be a release at all. Those this mean we shouldn't do a shared release now? Then we could thing about just a gui/back release, which shoudl make Riccardo happy.

Fred