[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Site, apps and CMS (Was: Re: StepTalk blog)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Site, apps and CMS (Was: Re: StepTalk blog)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:16:00 +0200

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 19:28 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Stefan Urbanek <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Suggestion to get more voulenteers? Switch to a site editing method with
> > no obstacles. You need contents maintainers, not web designers.
> > Therefore you need someone who can press 'edit' button and edit plain
> > text, not someone who has to know CVS. And yes, CVS is very great barier
> > for editors.
> Why? I've met this reasoning before and about as few people will
> learn a web editing interface as will learn CVS, in my experience.
> CVS is not very hard. It's one command on a menu (Tools > Version
> Control) in Emacs to save with a comment, or make a diff for
> emailing to webmasters. Is this really a "very great barrier"?
> At least CVS is common across many free software projects and
> most newer version control generally has a similar workflow,
> so people can gain transferable skills by working on

You can stop at words "emacs" and "diff". Yes, it is very great barrier.
You are programmer, therefore for you not. Same for CVS.

> Please can all willing editors who find this too hard let us know.
> Then we can try making it easier, or switch editing method.

Vicious circle... I say: we will not have editors until there will be
easier way of editing. You say: we will not change editing way until
there is going to be editor willing to edit with another tool...

> > > >From another message from Stefan:
> > > > [...] they have a kind of bridge between mailman and the forum [2], so 
> > > > every
> > > > post to the ubuntu lists gets published at the forum as a standard 
> > > > message.
> > > > Does GNUstep has any resources (machine, time,...) to set up such forum?
> > > 
> > > Isn't that what gmane, google groups and others do already? We've
> > > been around for a while, so are on these services, while youngsters
> > > like ubuntu have to do it for themselves.
> > No, it isn't. It is decetralised and distant to GNUstep.
> GNUstep development is pretty decentralised, you know?

It should not.

> > [...] It is about bringing all stuf together and
> > make it more accessible. It is not so obvious that one can search google
> > groups for gnustep discussions. [...]
> That's because we deliberately link to GMANE at the moment instead,
> so as not to duplicate, because they offer more of our lists and
> a better interface. Do you think we got that wrong?

No, I only say, that having everything GNUstep development related under
one roof is better.


> > I am against war, so I am not going to comment this either. I will say
> > only that I have the same impression: the community is closed. [...]
> The main things giving that impression are:
> 1. the community is busy, on GNUstep and other things;
> 2. a small number of nidjits say they think it is closed
> and offer "solutions" which may not improve things.

How do you know that the solutions will not improve things? Yes, they
may not. But you can only learn if you try it.



First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]