gomp-discuss

Re: [Gomp-discuss] OpenMP: Examples 1

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] OpenMP: Examples 1
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:59:40 -0400

Lars Segerlund wrote:
 Scott, you are my hero :-) ...  don't give up !

 Excellent, stuff like this is what we need.

Thanks for the support!

 A question though, does it sound reasonable that we should go for support for both
threads & MPI ? This would mainly concearn the lib(s), and perhaps we have to
stay out of trouble during the implementation.

A tricky question. OpenMP tends to be associated with low-latency parallelism, while MPI and PVM represent various forms of message passing mechanisms. In some cases, people have tried to write mixed MPI and OpenMP programs, where the distributed nodes are multiprocessor systems. One of the ASCI machines (I forget which color) uses multiprocessor nodes connected via a high-speed network.

I think we should just stick to low-latency parallelism in GOMP; otherwise, I think we're mixing what some people see as apples and oranges.

..Scott

--
Scott Robert Ladd