gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Moving ntpd to an open VCS

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Moving ntpd to an open VCS
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 23:44:23 -0700

> And they can't nail down a few IPs for the job??

If you are a big ISP, it might be reasonable to nail down a few IPs.

If you are a small organization, trying to nail down an IP Address commits
you to working with your current ISP, and even then, they may change the
rules with no warning unless you get the paperwork right.

-------

address@hidden said:
> I think it's not widely understood that most distros provide their own ntp
> servers to their clients and that the dhcp setting is often ignored.

> ntp.ubuntu.com, etc.

I think it's more complicated than that.

host ntp.fedora.com resolves to one IP Address that doesn't answer NTP
requests.  (at least from my IP address)

ntp.debian.com, ntp.netbsd.com, and ntp.freebsd.com all say not found:
3(NXDOMAIN)

There was a plan to get things like <N>.<distro>.pool.ntp.org to redirect to
<N>.pool.ntp.org
The idea was to have a redirect in there.  If some distro did something
stupid you could fix it.

0.netbsd.pool.ntp.org and such work for me.  (I haven't checked the servers.
I assume they are part of the pool.)

---------

In case you aren't familiar with the problems with stupid NTP clients, please
check out:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTP_server_misuse_and_abuse

If I was teaching computer geeks, I'd put Dave Plonka's paper on the
must-read (and understand) list.
  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp/

---------

This is getting (has long gone?) off-topic for gpsd lists.

The key idea is that time is tangled up with cryptography.  Most crypto
schemes assume that they know the time.

If DNS is using crypto that depends upon time, you can't use DNS to find your
time servers.  Hard-wiring IP Addresses has a long history of problems.  (See
above.)

If each ISP had their own NTP servers, it would be reasonable to hard-wire
their IP Addresses into boxes like home routers/modems that were distributed
to their customers.  (or at least more reasonable)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.