grub-devel

Re: grub-probe seems to be having problems

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub-probe seems to be having problems
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:28:18 +0100

On 19.03.2012 22:28, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 03:37:57PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
Interestingly after poking at reading all the disks and poking mdadm
--examine and --detail, now grub-prob likes md1, but still dislikes md0.

address@hidden:/tmp# /usr/sbin/grub-probe --device-map= --target=abstraction
--device /dev/md1
diskfilter mdraid1x raid5rec
address@hidden:/tmp# /usr/sbin/grub-probe --device-map= --target=abstraction
--device /dev/md0
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: Couldn't find physical volume `(null)'. Check your
device.map.

md1 was failing before with the same grub code.

I don't get it.  I wonder if there is any known issues in 2.6.32 kernel
and/or mdadm - v3.1.4 - 31st August 2010
Any suggestion for how to try and debug this myself, like which
file/function to start debuging at?  I would like to put this machine
in to production use soon, but I would also like to take this chance to
fix the bug in grub first.
There is no need to debug. I know exactly why GRUB is confused: because as far as my understanding goes the superblock makes no sense (details in previous mail). What we need is that someone familiar with md tells me how this sector should be interpreted.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko