gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Form vs. Function

From: Kero van Gelder
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Form vs. Function
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 20:09:04 +0200

> in light of massimilino's idea i have taken an initial stab at the
> "Classes of Widgetability". forgive the silly overuse of -able :) so,
> what have i missed? are there otherway to categorize this?

Showable

  shows text or figures or whatever

  Examples
    Label
    Canvas
    basically everything but plain Windows (that only provide space)

Clickable

  passes an explicit event to some external (non-GUI) code

  Examples
    Button

> Editable
>
>   text entry
>
>   Examples:
>     Gtk::Entry
>     Gtk::Text
>

> Selectable
>
>   select from a list.
select one from a series...

>   (note: could have multiple columns)
>
>   Examples:
>     Gtk::List  (w/ singal selection)
>     Gtk::Combo (w/ read only)
>     GUtopIa::RadioBox
>

> Multi-Selectable
>
>   select a number of possibilites from a list
>   (note: could have multiple columns)
>
>   Examples:
>     Gtk::List (w/ multi selection)
>     GUtopIa::CheckBox
>

> Editable & Selectable

That sounds odd, since you mentioned them separately...

>   can be selected from list and/or edited
>
>   Examples:
>     Gtk::Combo
>

> Switchable
>
>   on/off, true/false binary input

== Rangeable, over [true, false]
== Selectable, with only two options.

I'm not saying we don't need another widget/layout, but it could be
fancy dressing for certain (most?) style sheets.

>   Examples:
>     Gtk::Check
>

> Rangeable
>
>   specific means for inputing a numerical value within a range
>
>   Examples:
>     Gtk::ScrollBar
      Slider
      Entry

== Selectable, due to the range :)  (I'm kidding, here)

> Sectionable
>
>   provides seperate areas of layout
>
>   Examples:
>     Gtk::Window
>     Gtk::Notebook
      Multi-Tab environment

Dunno what the notebook is, but I suppose it has a horizontal or
vertical separator that the end-user can move. This is lacking in
older toolkits, I think. Otoh, this is layout mgmt, so we may well
need a sligtly different abstraction.

What is the place of the layout manager?

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ---------- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+