gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Camelot

From: Kero van Gelder
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Camelot
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 19:48:05 +0200

> leon and i have talked a bit about this chameleon idea --a gui that
> imitates the native enviornment without actually using the native
> toolkit. he's looking into the capabilities of paragui to be able to so
> this. paragui is themeable, but leon doubts it is themeable enough.
>
> so in that case we come empty for any sort of suitable toolkit. except
> for one: ruby-wise. please correct me, kero, if i am mistaken. ruby-wise
> is a gui toolkit built in 100% ruby, which calls on a primitive graphics
> library. right now that library is xlib, but techincally ruby-wise could
> be made plugable and use any gl. including sdl. is that a fair
> assesment?

Correct.
(but don't forget some way to get events and/or do windowing (but we
can write the latter in Ruby, clipping and layout mgmt :))

> i think leon may have a point, telling me to give ruby-wise some deep
> consideration. at the api-level of the GUtopIa project, ruby-wise would
> give us the most flexability to create what we would require is a gui
> tk. and, happy day for us, it's written in ruby! :)

Yup!

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ---------- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+