gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Camelot

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Camelot
Date: 02 Sep 2002 19:21:45 -0600

hey all,

so i've been doing a little thinking. we have started to work on two
distinct levels with regards to GUtopIa.

one the one hand there is the low-level api, for which we are primarily
considering a gl-plugable version of ruby-wise. this would prove a very
sweet pure ruby gui, renderable on a number of platforms. this new
version of ruby-wise should also be given extensive theme-ability so as
to be able to mimic native enviornments, and also tie in to the native
clipboard and drag-n-drop facilities.

on the other hand, we have the high-level where we are discussing
dividing form from function --the ability to describe the basic nature
of one's app-model with respect to the gui, but lets the gui api itself
layout the final results. the analogy was drawn to LaTex where you type
your text and describe the type of document, and out comes a finished
typeset document. this notion is quite a "next-generation" notion. and
we'll probably need to really apply ourselves to see if we can flush out
some way to actually accomplish this effectively.

such then appear to be our present notions for the long-term development
of GUtopIa's Chameleon. i am curious, what is your feelings on the
feasibility of these, and also what suggestions do you have toward
moving foward on them?

-tom

p.s. i have follow-up idea, which i'll post in a little bit.