gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend

From: Kero van Gelder
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 00:56:25 +0200

> > Something as low-level as X or a graphics engine is unlikely to be
> > available for all platforms. Typically, M$ will use its own format
> > (direct X) and linux invents yet another one (framebuffer, SVGAlib?)
>
> kero, a very rough frist draft of the GTK platform module is in the CVS.
> and i'll attach that particular file here. take a look at it and you can
> get an idea of where i'm headed and the beginnings of what it will take
> to make a GUtopIa backend.

OK, I've been looking a bit at it.

I must say, I have no idea where a component comes from...
What is it? What fields does it have? How is it made?

Plus, without a more detailed discussion I do not feel like choosing
:grid atm (the HList and VList suit my simple needs fine, whereas
:grid will certainly require a rows-field, so widgets take up more
than one row, that is, in a 3x3 matrix suddenly less than 9 widgets
fit). An advantage of :grid is that all toolkits have a grid layout,
afaik.

Otherwise, I couldn't get much further than the attached wise.rb
which is almost an insult.

What I'm missing is a picture like the Rouge alpha/beta/gamma.
Ruby-Wise was intended as the pure Ruby gamma implementation,
i.e. old-fashioned toolkit (but with all great features from
tk/gtk/andmore combined). Anything like XML, IDE, functional
reactivity, who-knows-what (maybe even layout managers?) is in layers
above.

So, I've done a bit of setup for the runtime choice of native toolkit,
attached toolkit.rb

After which I did a bit of hacking in Wise, where I got lost in
  "Some String".instance_of? String   => false
which is wrong, of course. But it doesn't help for productivity :(

Bye,
Kero.

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ---------- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+