gworkspace-discuss

Re: [Gworkspace-discuss] Window Maker received signal 11

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: [Gworkspace-discuss] Window Maker received signal 11
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 23:03:26 +0100

Hi,

Peter Olsen (address@hidden) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After having installed GWorkspace ver. 0.4.1 Window Maker doesn't work
> anymore. When I start it up it say that Window Maker received signal 11 and
> offers me to start an alternativ window manager. I have experienced this
> particular problem before -Window Maker works fine, but crashes with a
> signal 11 after having installed GWorkspace-  therefor I think it has
> something to do with GWorkspace.

We need a Window Manager that is design for GNUstep (and not only a Info
Panel that claim it is the GNUstep Window Manager :))

Window Maker does't not understand:
-GNUstep Pastboard
-GNUstep Bundle
-dock is not write with AppKit (comming soon here)
-Clip is not Fiend (coming soon)
-background is not an NSView that allow to us NSPasteboard
-It mess with Window levels

(but it is the best..err less worse of X window Manager for GNUstep :))

I use several patch for Window Maker (one to a better NSMenu Management)
Window Maker is not well maintain Alfredo & dan are very busy.
and I have no idea if they plan to be "THE GNUstep Window Manager" (under X)

> Can anyone tell me what causes this error and what I can do to correct it?

I think you need a more recent GNUstep-gui (AppKit) or GNUstep-back
I think this is fix there.

What backend do you use (back-art ?) ?

> I use RedHat 8.0, Window Maker 0.80.1 and GWorkspace 0.4.1 all compiled
> from sources using gcc 3.2 20020903

Enrico, this is the first mail I received from
address@hidden ?
Did you subscribe me ???

I think address@hidden should be enough until we don't have lot of
users... that send feedbacks :)