h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] Debian version at h-node

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] Debian version at h-node
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 14:57:23 -0400

address@hidden (Michał Masłowski) writes:

>>> Testing and unstable have no VERSION_ID in /etc/os_release.  We could
>>> have a "debian" code for them (due to the above naming: no version) and
>>> rely on the kernel/driver version numbers.  It would be like Parabola.
>>
>> Do you suggest to use the code "debian" for both testing and unstable?
>
> Packages usually are moved from unstable to testing.  I think there
> isn't much value in knowing if if a device worked with testing or
> unstable several months ago: one field might be enough.  For other uses,
> kernel/driver version info should be sufficient, so users find which
> stable versions or backports are supported.
>
> Maybe our Debian users have more experience that would help here.

It seems valuable to me -- I assume a device is listed with all of the
codes it's been tested with. After several months, a device will
probably have both unstable and testing codes on it. But until then,
it's useful to know that it's only been tested with unstable.

Ultimately, it's almost surely the kernel version that matters, so
keeping track of distro versions at all is a little roundabout -- but we
do it that way to make things simpler for users and contributors.

If we don't have the unstable code, what do contributors using unstable
say?

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.