[Heartlogic-dev] Re: feedback on site 2004-01-01

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: feedback on site 2004-01-01
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:03:26 +0530

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 06:14:32PM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> (1) I went to About -> Simulation Adequacy -> a page of text about Colby's
> PARRY and
> "How Science Should Work"
>
> At that top of that page there is "Use of Situation in Psychology".
> Siutation?  Huh?  You meant "Simulation" right?....
>
> Also, I think there has been a fair amount of simulation or cognitive
> modeling in psychology (I'll try to forward you a conference
> announcement about this very thing).  So maybe a title like ...
>
> "PARRY; an Early Step in Affective Simulation"
>
> ..would be more apt than something as grand and overarching as "Use of
> Simulation in Psychology"

Yes.  Done.

> (2) At http://s89740195.onlinehome.us/ohl/opine.cgi?leaf=bib it would
>     be better to italicise the little paragraph blurbs under each
>     biblio entry, no?  Clear distinction between biblio pointer and
>     explain summary ==> Less confusing on the eyes.

Italics looks equally confusing.

Bold looks OK.  I'm going to use bold unless you have a
better idea.

> (3) It would be cool to have a hotlink from OHL to the aleader dev
>     site complete with all the email discussion, no?

Added, near "Experimental Roadmap".

> (4) It would be cool to rename aleader to open-heart-logic, what do
>     you think?  That way when someone googles, instead of seeing...
>
>     mail.gnu.org/archive/html/aleader-dev/ 2003-09/msg00001.html
>
>       ...they will see...
>
>     mail.gnu.org/archive/html/open-heart-logic-dev/ 2003-09/msg00001.html
>
>    ...what do you think?  Would that be a little more descriptive and
>    eye catching (or maybe I should say, click catching?)

Sure, but there is still a conceptual gap between the two projects.

If you can focus on responding to our emails discussing goals
and parameterization then this gap will narrow.  I am optimistic
that only a very small gap remains.

However, until we succeed in eliminating the gap, a merger is
not appropriate.

> (5) When I read this
>     one...http://s89740195.onlinehome.us/ohl/opine.cgi?leaf=therapy...
>     I feel the most nervous....Here's why:
>
>       (a) The quote from Beck is long.  Although you gave credit,
>       copyright law would prohibit copying the entire book.  What
>       does copyright law allow?  I'm not sure.  Maybe research
>       (google?) on "Fair Use Clause."

I really doubt that this is a problem.  For example, amazon.com
has 2-3 complete pages from chapter 2 publically available.  I am
inclined to leave OHL unchanged unless we receive a complaint
from the Beck Institute (or whatever).

Also, I really like the paragraph I quoted.

>       (b) The stuff about who is right for cognitive therapy is
>       interesting, but I feel a little nervous about it.  Maybe it
>       is just because I didn't come up with it.  Maybe I am
>       suffering from hot cognition (-;....Lets see....It is a little
>       far afield from the focus of my dissertation.  My dissertation
>       is about modeling emotion.  Hopes for doing some sort of
>       therapy based on the model is one thing.  But a discussion of
>       who is right for cog therapy and who is not is a little
>       outside...I suppose it does relate in the sense that heart and
>       head need to be balanced...But again, this is more in the
>       clinical/philsophy domain than in the science domain...What
>       else: It is speculative?...right? I mean you just inferred it,
>       you didn't find a chart like this or this kind of info
>       somewhere in the literature did you?  If so, cite it.  If not,
>       make explicit this is your belief.

I added "We believe" at the beginning of the paragraph.  Is this
sufficient?

I think the material is important to have for people who are
totally clueless about cognitive therapy, even if it is
just random speculation by yours truly.

>       (c) cognitive reframing....Thanks so much for putting that up
>       there...How about this, can you add a little more explanation
>       of cognitive reframing...How about this:

I added most of this, but not verbatim.  Take a look and tell me
if you like what I did with it.

> (6) be careful about copying sections from my dissertation.  My
>     dissertaion must be an original piece of work.  If there is a
>     website that has large tracts of my dissertation, I could get into
>     trouble with the (baseless) accusation that my work is unoriginal.
>     Once I get it officially revised and reviewed by the "Ruler Lady"
>     (she literally measures margins with a rule) and all that
>     bureacracy, THEN I see no bars against copying large tracts -- I
>     will give permission.  These are just my strong suspicions, I am
>     not expert enough on copyright law or UT dissertation policy.

I added this to the top-level About page:

"Note: Some of the text in the About section is copied verbatim
or paraphrased from Jarrold (2004), with permission."

Hopefully this is sufficient.

I'd prefer not to spend the time to go back and figure out what
I took verbatim and what I paraphrased from your dissertation.

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/aleader