[Heartlogic-dev] Re: feedback on site 2004-01-01

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: feedback on site 2004-01-01
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 13:59:17 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 10:32:45AM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> > I just visited the page and there was no difference.  Bold sounds fine.
> > You might try a different font size?
>
> It _is_ changed.  Try "reload" on your browser.

I already had tried that.   And I tried it again.  And I killed my
mozilla and restarted it.  Same thing.  I've been in this situation
before -- apparently it insists on looking in some cache.  How do I
refresh this cache with Rasputin-like powers?

> > > Added, near "Experimental Roadmap".
> >
> > Thanks.  But what be much better would be to hotlink directly
> > to the email discussions.  E.g. to...
> >
> > http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/heartlogic-dev/
> >
> > ...and to maybe also have a hotlink to the savanah project page.  The
> > way it is now, I think that most people would look at the savanah page and
> > move on.
>
> Done.

Great Thanks.

> > > Also, I really like the paragraph I quoted.
> >
> > Hmm, okay but it doesn't really excite me.  But, I'll try to flexible
> > with my tastes.
> >
> > Hey, here's a question: what if we have a serious deep disagreement
> > on some issue.  It would be good to have an agreed upon procedure
> > in place on what to do if you think we should do A and I think we
> > should B and A and B contradict each other.
>
> At worst, the project will split into OHL-Joshua and OHL-Bill and
> we'll have two competing web sites.  Hopefully this won't happen.
>
> I tentatively think that we have already voiced all our serious
> beliefs and found no fundemental disagreement.

I agree that we have found no fundamental disagreement.  But as it says in
the preface to OCC, "discretion is the better part of valor."  So, why not
have some kind of "escape clause" articulated...E.g. what are the
mechanics of spliting OHL into OHL-Joshua and OHL-Bill?

Also, if there were a split, there's no reason we couldn't have a
OHL-JandB, OHL-J and OHL-B.

> > > I added "We believe" at the beginning of the paragraph.  Is this
> > > sufficient?
> >
> > Well, err, not really.  I don't believe it strongly enough to put it
> > up on a public web page.  For example, your construct of the spectrum
> > of logical to emotional personalities, has that really been validated?
> > Not to my knowledge. It is intuitively somewhat compeling, granted.  What
> > if you somehow bracketed this.  E.g. on a separate page you could say
> > "Joshua believes..."...An area where you could do whatever you want
> > would have other advantages too, e.g. I have a generaly sense that the
> > personal growth stuff is seeping back in.  I'm not sure why, but I just
> > feel leery about getting into that.  On the part of the OHL website that
> > we share, I want to stay focused on cognitive models.
>
> OK, not a big deal.  I'll just remove that stuff and finish the
> section with a short list of clinical conditions.

Well that is okay with me, tho I feel I am running the risk of being a
naysayer.  By the way, the emotional intelligence literature probably
addresses the kind of graph you had.  Emotional Intelligence is a
construct that I know of that has been somewhat validated that is
related to the axis labeled "emotion" (or whatever, I forget what it was
called.)

> > But, I do think this idea of logical vs emotional personality/thinking
> > styles is an interesting idea.  It deserves space.  Thus, I'm leaning
> > towards a separate web page for it.
>
> I'll just delete it for now.  It is in CVS.  We can always
> resurrect it later.

Okee dokee, thanks.

Now, what about this...I think it would be better (more focused) if the
leftmost hyperlink on the About panel, currently labeled "Cognitive
Therapy", were relabeled "Clinical Relevance."  And even better would be
if the section labeled "Similarity Between Autistic and Computational
Styles" were moved to the top of the page.  After all, Autism, not
Cognitive Therapy, is what is most relevant to this work.

> > > I added most of this, but not verbatim.  Take a look and tell me
> > > if you like what I did with it.
> >
> > Looks good enough for now.
> >
> > Oh....Minor point, could you change...
> >
> > "The model being developed for OHL includes goal substitution, which is a
> > type of cognitive reframing."
> >
> > ...to...
> >
> > "The model being developed for OHL includes goal substitution, which can
> > be viewed as a type of cognitive reframing."
>
> Done.

Great.  Thanks,

Bill