Re: HyperTalk Grammar, Again

From: Anthony DeRobertis
Subject: Re: HyperTalk Grammar, Again
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 20:59:55 -0500

Hans Aberg writes:
At 10:58 -0500 2002/01/20, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
I'm beginning to agree with Scott that LALR(1) isn't enough.

First note that languages are often not themselves LL(1) or LALR(1) even
though  such parsers may be used: One can tweak the lexer by say a lookup
table deciding which token to return. Or one can decide that some data is
semantic, and let it be handled via the actions. This data can the be fed
back to alter the lexer.

I'm going to be depending on those facts quite a bit.

So if you say that the original parser used a recursive decent parser
(probably LL(1) then),

I doubt LL(1).
Thus, it may look as though a larger lookahead is needed in a simplistic
analysis.

Yes, that's quite true. And I think I unfortunately aided simplistic analysis by my poor choice of examples!
passes Bison. So your example is parsable with one token lookahead LALR.

I think it's about time I posted what I have of the grammar. It's 480 lines, so I'll just give a URL:
 <http://freecard.sourceforge.net/InterpreterExpirement/parser.y>
You'll need to find a nice 132-character display to make it readable --- sorry about that. Also, I use 4-character tabs... The parts I was giving examples from are "chunk", "part_descr". "expr" and "factor" are quite important, too.