Re: HyperTalk Grammar, Again

From: Anthony DeRobertis
Subject: Re: HyperTalk Grammar, Again
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 02:07:35 -0500

Hans Aberg writes:
  FOLLOW(part_descr) = {INTEGER, OF, BUTTON}
Since OF is in this set, there is no way to distinguish between items (1)
and (2) above by looking at the following token alone.

Soon after writing my previous message, I realized that the problem is: BUTTON BUTTON INTEGER OF It isn't clear which the of goes with ---
BUTTON (BUTTON INTEGER OF)
vs.
BUTTON (BUTTON INTGER) OF Which is pretty much the classic dangling-else problem, except this is a dangling of. Fortunately, HyperCard (the reference implementation) likes shift. I _think_ this means that there wasn't really a problem in the first place (other than ambiguous grammar, of course); am I wrong?