Re: Bison version 1.875e available for testing

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Bison version 1.875e available for testing
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:57:58 +0100

>>> "Laurence" == Laurence Finston <address@hidden> writes:

 >> > Does this make it possible to declare local automatic
 >> > variables in `yyparse()'?
 >>
 >> Nope.  To a similar end you are expected to use %parse-param.
 >>

 > That's what I do.  The CWEB section
 > address@hidden declarations for rules@>' contains code that extracts the
 > values from the parameter.  It just seems a bit wasteful to do this in
 > every rule, as well as cluttering up my code.

I don't understand what you mean with "every rule".  Automatic
variables in yyparse are for a whole parse, just as arguments given to
%parse-param.

 > For non-threaded applications it would suffice to use static
 > variables local to the compilation unit for `yyparse()', but this
 > won't work with threads.

Why is that?  It is up to you to pass to yyparse references to
automatic variables from its caller.  So I fail to see what actual
difference it would make.