Re: book recommendations?

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: Re: book recommendations?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:50:17 -0400

Blair Goodlin wrote:

> I'm just starting to learn Emacs, and was thinking
> about getting myself a book.  I was thinking about
> getting O'Reilly's _Learning GNU Emacs_, but it only
> covers through version 19.30.  Is there that much
> difference between 19.30 and the latest release that
> it would be a bad idea to learn from this book?

I'd say so.
>                                                  Can
> anyone recommend another (better) book?

Buy one from the FSF.

 The GNU Emacs Manual (14th Edition for Version 20.7) describes
 editing with GNU Emacs. It explains advanced features, including
 outline mode and regular expression search; how to use special
 programming modes to write languages like C++ and TeX; how to
 use the tags utility; how to compile and correct code; how to
 make your own keybindings; and other elementary customizations.