Re: Emacs on OS X - configuration package

From: Jussi Piitulainen
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X - configuration package
Date: 02 Mar 2004 17:04:18 +0200

videoxfer writes:
> Jussi Piitulainen wrote:
>> Usually M-u is bound to upcase-word. If you simply set option to be
>> meta, that is what you get.
>
> In the carbon emacs with option bound to meta, option-u is both M-u
> (upcase-word) and the umlaut prefix character.

So if you type `C-h c opt-u' it both says something like "M-u runs the
command upcase-word" and waits for the next keypress? If it does only
the latter, then opt-u is not the usual M-u.

I have a Carbon Emacs with opt as meta. Opt-u upcases a word. It does
not wait for anything. `Opt-u u' would upcase a word and insert u. I
did redefine several keys, with help from this newsgroup, but I don't
remember having to fight opt-u.

> If I type opt-u u I insert the u-umlaut character into the buffer.
> If I typed opt-u opt-u, I upcase the word

Then you may have option as meta and M-u as a prefix key. You do not
have opt-u as upcase-word. Else opt-u opt-u would upcase two words.

> (this doubling is the price paid for the convenience of using the
> familiar mac key gestures).

You don't seem to get what you bargained for, if simply pressing opt-u
does not insert a character.