Re: What do you think of new vimpulse-mode which emulates vim keys? (was

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: What do you think of new vimpulse-mode which emulates vim keys? (was: Re: need advice about fixing up my new vimpact-mode, a Vim emulation mode based on viper-mode)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:10:06 +0000 (UTC)

In article <1175810013.819910.69920@w1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
jasonspiro4+moznews@gmail.com <jasonspiro4@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi Stianse,
>
>On Mar 28, 9:36 am, stia...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Great, I just recently discovered viper-mode and vimpulse made it even
>> better.
>
>Thank you!  Makes me happy about the time I have spent cleaning up
>vimpulse.el for the web.  I am CC'ing your feedback to Alessandro
>Piras and Brad Beveridge (I did not write vimpulse.)
>
>> I have only tried it for a couple of days, so I don't have any
>> constructive feedback at the moment, except one modification I had to
>> make in vimpulse.el. In order to make it work I had to delete the line
>>
>>     'viper--key-maps
>>
>> from the function my-get-emulation-keymap(). Without this I got an
>> error message telling me that viper--key-maps variable was void,
>> resulting in not being able to do anything in emacs (not even close
>> the window).  Does this have any impact on the available features in
>> vimpulse?
>
>I doubt it has any impact.  But the fact that vimper initially caused
>such a serious problem is a serious bug.  Thank you for reporting it.
>
>Where did you get your emacs-snapshot package?  Did you build it
>yourself?  If you built a .deb or an RPM yourself and you still have
>it handy, would you mind to send me it?  (There are many free file
>hosting services; try a Google search for "file hosting".)
>
>Regards,
>Jason

Quick question: does either of them implement the "g" command (not
suffix), that works like this:

    g/foo/<some vi/vim command>, eg:

     g/foo/r more-foo-stuff.txt/

   (as described in Kernighan's "software tools" book, it
    does it in two passes: first go through
    and "mark" each line that matches /foo/,

    then the 2nd pass: from top to bottom, at
     ever marked line, execute the command --

    the neat thing being that if during an earlier part
    of that 2nd pass, lines get added or deleted,
     when it gets to a foo-line further down,
    it still works, because the "marks" are
    attached to the lines they're at, and thus
    "move" along with their lines.

Anyway, vi and vim certainly have it, but some
emulators seem to be missing it.

At least if they did have the g feature, I sure
couldn't get it work.

--- THANKS!

David

Well, maybe it wasn't such a quick question, after all. :-)