Re: build-and-load-etags

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: build-and-load-etags
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:03:11 +0300

> From: "David L" <idht4n@hotmail.com>
> Bcc:
> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:41:47 -0700
>
> One more question.  If I wanted the benefit of asynchronous
> generation of the tags file (ie, not having to wait 30 seconds
> for a big list of dependencies to be created before my emacs
> session is active again)

But then you will not be able to use tags commands until etags
finishes.  Since you want build-and-load-etags, this kinda doesn't
make sense, does it?

> is there a way to query the completion
> status of a compile session so I could start a timer and
> poll every few seconds for compilation completion?

You don't need to reinvent the wheel like that, since Emacs already
has the machinery to check the status of an async process.  A special
sentinel function is called when the process changes state, and
there's a hook variable `compilation-finish-functions' that you can
use to get your function called when the process exits.

Btw, the ELisp manual describes all this in quite some detail.  I
suggest to read the relevant parts of it when you are writing Lisp
programs.