RE: Is there any elisp functions to tell whether the cursor is in a comm

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Is there any elisp functions to tell whether the cursor is in a comment block?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:21:25 -0700

> >> I am thinking about a page on EmacsWiki that holds the
> >> information. This page could for example have entries like
> >>
> >>    === Tabkey2.el 21=n 22=y 23=y ===
> >>    elisp:tabkey2.el
> >>    comment ... comment ...
> >>
> >> ELPA could then fetch information from this page. And
> >> users could too.
> >>
> >> The elisp pages on EmacsWiki could at the bottom have a link
> >> to this page.
> >
> > A file-header field in each library file can give the same
> > information. I use this field, for example:
> >
> >  ;; Compatibility: GNU Emacs 20.x, GNU Emacs 21.x, GNU Emacs 22.x
> >
> > However, the field value is free-form at present. A
> > conventional form would let tools pick up the value.
> >
> > An advantage is locality of reference and update: some
> > developers are more likely to update a file header field than
> > a separate wiki page.
>
> Yes, that might be good too, but it can't be used for packages.

Why not?

If a tool (e.g. ELPA) can pick up the info from a wiki page, as you suggest, why
can't it pick it up from an elisp file (which can also be a wiki page) or a
"package file" or whatever. IOW, whatever info you would provide in the form you
suggested could alternatively be provided in the source code itself. No?