Re: spell-checker compatible with LaTeX?

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: spell-checker compatible with LaTeX?
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 09:21:32 +0200

* 2010-02-11 14:34 (-0800), Porky Pig wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out what's the current status of spell checker
> for emacs. In particular, I"m looking for one that's understand LaTeX
> and compatible with Auctex. I did some searches on web, but still
> can't figure out if anything is available at all. I'm runing emacs/
> auctex under Windows XP.

If you only need a real-time spell-checker (à la flyspell-mode) you can
use wcheck-mode [1]. It aims to be very much configurable and compatible
with "everything". You can use it with any command-line (spell-)checker
tool. To make it compatible with LaTeX (Auctex) I use this
configuration:

(setq-default
 wcheck-read-or-skip-faces
 '((emacs-lisp-mode read font-lock-comment-face font-lock-doc-face)
   (message-mode read nil message-header-subject message-cited-text)
   (latex-mode read                     ; "read" the following faces
               nil                      ; nil means normal text
               font-latex-sectioning-1-face
               font-latex-sectioning-2-face
               font-latex-sectioning-3-face
               font-latex-sectioning-4-face
               font-latex-bold-face
               font-latex-italic-face
               font-lock-constant-face)
   (org-mode skip                       ; "skip" the following face(s):
             font-lock-comment-face)))

So in latex-mode only normal text (nil), section headers etc. are read.
All other faces are skipped.

 1. http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WcheckMode