help-gnu-music

Re: short postscript?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: short postscript?
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:20:23 +0200

> Hi,
>
> Because of the current bug in the building of the documentation,
> I might be missing some information,

The patch in
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/bug-gnu-music/2001-April/000255.html
fixes the compilation error for 1.3.145. However, I find it most
convenient to download the gzipped postscript version of the
manual from the web page.

> so here is what I saw. I ran
> with my newly compiled 1.3.145:
>
>       lilypond -fps wtk1-fugue1.ly
>
> ("wtk1-fugue1.ly" is in mutopia/J.S.Bach) and got the messages
> listed below. But the troubling thing is that the generated postscript
> can not be read beyond the first page.

The direct postscript option is still very experimental and for
any serious typesetting you should use ly2dvi -P. I get exactly
the same problem as you report.

> kpathsea: Running mktextfm --destdir
> /var/spool/texfonts/tfm/lilypond/1.3.145/  cmr8
> mktextfm: /var/spool/texfonts/tfm/lilypond/1.3.145/cmr8.tfm already exists.
> mktexlsr: /var/spool/texfonts: directory not writable. Skipping...
> rm: : No such file or directory
> /usr/pkg/share/texmf/web2c/mktexupd: /var/spool/texfonts/ls-R unwritable.

It seems that your teTeX installation isn't correct.
The directory pointed to by kpsexpand '$VARTEXFONTS'
should be writable by all users, since it's used for
generated font files, see the teTeX manual (run texdoc TETEXDOC).

   /Mats