help-gnu-music

Re: Help!!!!!!!

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Help!!!!!!!
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 11:34:06 +0200

This is a multipart MIME message.
Let's take this step by step.

It should not be critical which MikTeX version you use.
Let's first verify that your MikTeX works as it should.
Open a DOS window. Run the commands
>> latex sample2e
 Should produce some lines of output
>> yap sample2e
 Should display a three page document.

Next step; verify that the geometry package is in place.
Save the attached file to the directory where you run
your DOS window. Run the commands
>> latex geometrytest
>> yap geometrytest
This one you should get a single page document with some text
in each corner.

Now we come to Lilypond. Which version did you download?
I guess that you followed the link to "Windows Stable" and
downloaded either 1.2.0 or 1.3.46. When you follow the
instructions on Jeffrey's page, please note that the
example file, angels.ly, is written for version 1.2.0.
If you installed 1.3.46, you could find documentation and
examples at
http://appel.lilypond.org/lilypond/links/lilypond-1.3.46/index.html

The main problem with the Windows installation is that all the
the developers and most of the users run Linux and noone has
had the time to support the Windows version fully.

       /Mats

> Help, I have so many problems with Lilypond on Windows... It's impossible to
> make it all work. It's very frustrating that ALL these GNU applications are
> packaged in several different files, which you have download and install the
> right order. Also, be careful to download the RIGHT versions, or else you're
> doomed! Please, I'm sorry, I'm going hysterical, I've been trying three weeks
> to install it and make it work, and I followed EVERY SINGLE STEP IN THE
> INSTALLATION NOTES, DOWNLOADED EVERY SINGLE PROGRAM (only MiKTEX is not the
> indicated version), and INSTALLED THEM IN EVERY POSSIBLE ORDER. I realize
> no-one will want to respond to such a disagreable post, but you have to
> understand that I've gotten completely crazy. I'd like to be more precise,
> but to me, the only thing I notice is that it doesn't work. I'm sure I'm not
> the only one who turns his back on Lilypond because it's too hard to install,
> so why can't somebody make ONE installation package that installs EVERY
> needed c!
omponent, and make A LOT easier on everybody. I'll be willing to do this, if
ever I get it to work myself.