help-gnu-radius

Re: [Help-gnu-radius] User Authentication

From: Gerald
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] User Authentication
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:16:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Georges EL OJAIMI wrote:

> I am trying to authenticate to the server using the command 'radauth'
> and the username and password present in the 'config.m4' it is always
> giving me 'FAIL'

The username and password in config.m4 is to populate your sqlserver file
with relevant information when you compile radius. This allows radius to
talk to mysql. I believe it also creates the database and table structure
for you that most everyone uses. Confirm this account with command line
mysql client like so:

mysql -u username -p -h localhost
Password: ItypedMyPassword
mysql>quit

I'm not sure how far Sergey took the config.m4 if it'll create the mysql
user/password credentials and create tables/database and setup
sqlserver file. It looks to have all of the information required to do all
of that.

The radauth command tests an account within the database. No accounts are
created by the installation of gnu-radius this is left up to the
Administrator.

mysql> use radiusdb;
mysql> SELECT * FROM tablename;

will show you all the accounts in tablename.

http://www.gnu.org/software/radius/manual/html_chapter/radius_5.html#SEC133

> I checked though phpMyAdmin if any data is present in the database
> 'RADIUS', the six tables are empty!!!
>
> - How to make sure that my server is up and running?

radctl which

> - Should I need to install a client in order to be able to connect?

There are 2 answers to this.

1 the whole point of setting up the radius server is for some client to
connect to it correct?
2. For testing purposes radauth is installed unless you told it not to.

> - What is Guile and how to make sure it is present or not - I even tried
> radsession with no luck!

An evil language included to expand the capabilities of radius
beyond what it was ever originally expected to do while at the same time
rendering mostly hopeless any notion you had of eventually reaching a deep
understanding of radius (gnu- or otherwise) once you open that can or
worms.

If you want to read the official word on it here's the manual link:

http://www.gnu.org/software/radius/manual/html_chapter/radius_11.html#SEC213

Gerald