help-gnubatch

Re: [help-gnubatch] gbch-xq

From: Jan Schampera
Subject: Re: [help-gnubatch] gbch-xq
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 06:37:58 +0200

John Collins (home) wrote:

I suppose it could wrap UID switches round every message queue operation. Originally I had it use semaphores as well which would make it even worse.

Yes, that was the basic idea of my statement. More formal:
- program operates with the RUID from the beginning and most of the time (process creator user ID/real user ID) - for GNUBatch API access it uses the SUID (saved UID, at the beginning it's the UID of the file owner)

The POSIX rationale for setuid() [1] holds an interesting discussion by the way, covering some historical quirks and stuff. Since I'm mostly "generation Linux", I can't help much with the portability.

The messages about the .gnubatch file are probably because you've got a 700 permission home directory and it can't be read with the setuid gnubatch process.

This also can be "solved" using the RUID the same way as for the DISPLAY access.

Regards,
Jan

[1] http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/setuid.html