help-gnubatch

Re: [help-gnubatch] Arbitrary name length limits?

From: Wechsler, Steven
Subject: Re: [help-gnubatch] Arbitrary name length limits?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:23:51 +0000

On 20/01/12 16:36, Wechsler, Steven wrote:

We’ve already discussed hostname lengths.  Apparently variable names are limited 19 characters, and job titles to 13. Are there any other name length restrictions? Any plans to increase them? Is it something that could be configured at compile time?

John Collins wrote:

Yes I'm intending to up variable names to 63 characters. But there is no 13 character limit on job titles - where did you get that from?

Actually you can do that now if you want but please be consistent with multiple network versions or funny things will happen! Note that you have to make it so that the boundaries of things are consistent across multiple platforms. (I'm shifting to using XML for sending and saving stuff in the new version which makes saved job files and such easier to debug).

13 characters is the maximum number of characters that gbch-q appears to display for a job title.

Regarding increasing the number of characters in a variable name, it appears that all I need to do is change the value of BTV_NAME in btvar.h and then recompile. Is that correct?

Are you planning on a new release soon, or should I go ahead with that change?

Thanks,

Steve