help-gnubatch

Re: [help-gnubatch] Arbitrary name length limits?

From: John Collins (Xi Software Ltd)
Subject: Re: [help-gnubatch] Arbitrary name length limits?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:39:39 +0000

On 24/01/12 13:23, Wechsler, Steven wrote:

On 20/01/12 16:36, Wechsler, Steven wrote:

We’ve already discussed hostname lengths.  Apparently variable names are limited 19 characters, and job titles to 13. Are there any other name length restrictions? Any plans to increase them? Is it something that could be configured at compile time?

John Collins wrote:

Yes I'm intending to up variable names to 63 characters. But there is no 13 character limit on job titles - where did you get that from?

Actually you can do that now if you want but please be consistent with multiple network versions or funny things will happen! Note that you have to make it so that the boundaries of things are consistent across multiple platforms. (I'm shifting to using XML for sending and saving stuff in the new version which makes saved job files and such easier to debug).

13 characters is the maximum number of characters that gbch-q appears to display for a job title.

Yes but you can rejig the column widths to make it display more and less for other things.

Regarding increasing the number of characters in a variable name, it appears that all I need to do is change the value of BTV_NAME in btvar.h and then recompile. Is that correct?

Yes but make it 1 less than a multiple of 4 or you may get funny things happening if you network between different platforms.

Are you planning on a new release soon, or should I go ahead with that change?

I'm just working on some new stuff - it'll be a few weeks yet as I've got a whole lot of extra stuff for Windows clients to go in so please change it in your version.

Thanks,

Steve

--
John Collins address@hidden Xi Software Ltd www.xisl.com

Phone: +44 (0)1707 886110 Home Phone: +44 (0)1707 883174
Mobile: +44 (0)7958 387247 (address@hidden)

Trading Address 3 Mandeville Rise, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL8 7JT, UK

Registered in England Company Number 01977148 VAT GB 403 9239 64 R/O: 2 Mill Road, Haverhill, Suffolk, CB9 8BD