help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Work in progress, again

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Work in progress, again
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 05:31:25 +0100

2011/12/13 Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>:
> I like your first proposition best, with rounded edges.

Okay, you're talking about this one:
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/1617/lw6layouttesta.jpg

I have just made a variation on that theme:
 1) The text is now aligned to the left
 2) The green stroke is replaced with a simple green drop shadow
 3) The info area to the right is now a simple box.

It looks like this:
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4830/lw6layoutteste.jpg

Pick what you like from each proposition.

> As a side note, if we want to anticipate usage on smartphones, we need
> to have a *bigger* font for menus, I think. I might be wrong, but I
> suspect in your screenshots it's quite small for a 3.5 inches display.
> OTOH the help/tooltips/breadcrumbs need not be very big, if one misses
> the information it's not that bad, after all, a few weeks ago it didn't
> even exists. I'm opened to suggestions.

Yep, it will be way too small for smartphones! The reason I have sized
down the menu items is that big menus often ends up looking clumpsy.
Also, it looks wrong when paired with the normal sized cursor of the
operation system. (We could of course just use an alternative cursor,
just as the in-game cursor i made, but I like that the LW6 window uses
a "normal" cursor)

So, we could:
A) Use large menu items in both versions.
B) Use a different menu .xml file in the mobile build.
C) Let the width*hight in pixels of the LW6 display determine the menu
size. (So a small  3.5 display (which also happens to have a small
resolution) will have a somewhat larger menu size. Similar, sizing the
window down in Linux/Windows/Mac will keep the menu at a viewable
size.)

>> One thing I have considered is to create a "character" for each color
>> team. They should of course be designed to have the same colors as
>> their fighters. Also, their look should suggest the nature of their
>> fighters: good defence = the character has some massive armor. They
>> could each have an individual name and they could be seen when using
>> powerups or at the HUD or player icons.
> Well, this would be just... great. You could design them either 2d or
> voxel or as a classical 3d character with vertices and surfaces. Just
> let your creativity imagine something cool, I'll try to make the engine
> support it ;)

Cool, I think I will try to keep some sort of underwater theme, and
draw some pasport photo -styled portraits.

One thing to consider is their names:

LW5 used historical names:
Napolion (red)
Clovis (green)
Henri IV (blue)
Caesar (cyan)
Geronimo (magenta)
Attila (yellow)

There was also a few names in the fanfic:
General Violet
Baron Red
Captain Yellow
Commander Orange