Re: running long octave simulations

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: running long octave simulations
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:49:24 +0200

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:16 AM, Steve Thompson <address@hidden> wrote:
It seems to me that, yes, octave will keep running the original script.

On a side note, I've been having to do similar stuff (long, remote
runs) and I've found the screen command to be much more flexible than
nohup.

Step 1: log in to remote octave-crunching computer

Step 2: type "screen" at the command line, hit enter

Step 3: do your business (eg, get octave running)

Step 4: close terminal

Step 5: beer, beach, etc

Step 6: after a few hours check in on simulation

 6a: log in to said computer

 6b: type "screen -r"

     You will see a list of active screens, something like:

       There are several suitable screens on:
               17712.pts-3.prospect
               17459.pts-3.prospect
               17857.pts-3.prospect

     meaning there are 3 such screens doing stuff.

 6c: type "screen -r 17712.pts-3.prospect" to reconnect to the
     first one on the list, etc

This can be done as many times as you like.  Sooooo cool.

Steve

I agree that screen is a great tool for this sort of thing. Some good screen commands are:
CTRL-A, CTRL-C  : make a new screen
CTRL-A, "              : view a list of screens
CTRL-A, A             : change name of a screen
Also, to reconnect, I think that it's recommended to do screen -r -d, though the reason why escapes me now.
Michael