help-rcs

Re: Terminology suggestion

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Terminology suggestion
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:34:26 +0200

() "Cannon, Alastair, VF UK, Partner" <address@hidden>
() Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:45:28 +0200

   can I ask just what is confusing about the term 'repository'?

   It has been used for years - if it isnt broke don't fix it!

Recap:
- RCS 5.7 and previous always said "RCS file", not "repository".

- ttn's eyes glazed over reading "RCS file", RCS this, RCS that;
  started using "repo" in the source to describe a single ,v file;
  and in the end, succumbed to inflicting this intolerance on the users.

- Keith Thompson raised the point that "repository" == "single ,v"
  might be confusing for those who think of "repository" == "collection"
  (of ,v for RCS or whatever for other VCSes).  To disambiguate, it was
  suggested to use "repository file" instead of "repository".

- ttn concurred and recently pushed this and other small changes:
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/rcs.git/

So, to answer your question: everything is confusing to somebody
somewhere.  (Believe me, i'm the expert!)  Luckily, we are in pretest
so even "repository file" might cede to "history file" or whatnot for
5.8.  (Then, the gnashing of teeth will really begin...)

thi