help-rcs

Re: Terminology suggestion

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Terminology suggestion
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:30:58 -0700

On 06/22/2010 02:34 PM, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

> - RCS 5.7 and previous always said "RCS file", not "repository".
>
> - ttn's eyes glazed over reading "RCS file", RCS this, RCS that;
>   started using "repo" in the source to describe a single ,v file;
>   and in the end, succumbed to inflicting this intolerance on the users.

This is not a good time to be introducing new terminology.
Furthermore, the use of the word "repository" to mean "RCS file"
conflicts with longstanding practice in other revision control systems.

I'd stick with the term "RCS file" for now, to talk about single ,v files;
that's what people have been used to, and personal preference is
not a good enough reason to overturn longstanding standard practice.