help-shishi

Re: Shishi 0.0.26

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Shishi 0.0.26
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 19:40:15 -0700

Elrond <address@hidden> writes:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 10:35:40PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:

>> The problem is, IIUC, that we can't use prerm/postinst to handle an
>> old buggy shishid if we at the same time have a shishi-kdc do:

>> Provides: shishid
>> Conflicts: shishid
>> Replaces: shishid

>> When I run dist-upgrade, dpkg will use the prerm from the old shishid
>> package, which fails, and there is no prerm from the "new" shishid,
>> because there is no new shishid.

>> One solution I see would be to provide an "empty" shishid with the
>> prerm, that depends on shishi-kdc, and remove the above
>> Provides/Conflicts/Replaces.

> It should have
>       Replaces: shishid (<= last-version-with-real-shishid)
>       Conflicts: dito

Yup, I'm going to do this in CVS now.

Provides is only useful when we don't have an empty transitional package.
We won't ever need it.  Conflicts indicates that the two packages can't be
installed at the same time, so shishid can't conflict with the new -kdc
package and still work as a transitional package.  shishi-kdc needs to
conflict with the previous non-empty shishi package.  Replaces indicates
that this package contains files that were previously contained in the
listed package, so similarly that should have the last shishid before the
transitional package.

With this change, I think we should be good for an upload.  I'll hold off
until Simon says we're good, though, just in case.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>