Re: [igraph] Running Igraph in parallel

From: Gabor Csardi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Running Igraph in parallel
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 00:00:45 +0200

True, this is also an option, just like many similar libraries,
eg. MPI implementations if you want to distribute jobs to
many machines. But it is still true that a single igraph
function will not run any faster.

Another issue might be if you go with openmp, that we never checked
that igraph is thread-safe. I think it is, most of the time,
but would not be 100% sure, e.g. the error handling might cause
problems.

Gabor

ps. please consider joining the list, otherwise i have to acknowledge
your mails by hand and this can cause delay. Thanks.

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:07:11PM +0200, Walter de Back wrote:
> Hi,,
>
> If you're implementing in C/C++, you could use openMP to exploit
> multithreading
> (on a multi-core machine) to do various analysis tasks on your huge graph in
> parallel.
>
> I've made some simple openMP examples showing how to:
>
> - generate and analyse multiple graphs in parallel
> http://walter.deback.net/media/c/igraph_openmp1.c
>
> - do different analysis tasks on the same graph in parallel
> http://walter.deback.net/media/c/igraph_openmp2.c
>
> More on openMP:
>  http://openmp.org
>  https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/openMP/