Re: db or similar store, anyone?

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: db or similar store, anyone?
Date: 27 Jun 2004 09:27:50 -0700

Ian> Hi, I just thought it would be interesting to have a gnus backend
Ian> storing the messages in a Berkeley db, gdbm, or a similar disk
Ian> hash.

Kai> Yes, that would be useful.  The main problem is probably the Emacs
Kai> interface to the C library (libdb, libgdbm, ...).

Exactly.  I see I have been retracing your mental path.

Kai> Hm.  Maybe a C/Perl/... program speaking some protocol on
Kai> stdin/stdout, then invoking that program from Emacs is one way to
Kai> go.

And I have started working on this one.  I have low motivation now,
though, because I have come to see the whole situation as an Emacs
limitation.  (Why isn't there any C extension interface yet?)  So I'll
proceed at glacial speed.

Kai> There was a project nndb once, which was a Perl server storing
Kai> articles in a Berkeley DB speaking a protocol similar to NNTP, and
Kai> there was also nndb.el which talked the nndb protocol.

I'll try to search for this, but given the considerable effort I
expended on research before the initial posting, I am not optimistic.
It's probably lost to history.

--
"It's not true or not."  A reality show producer (real quote)