Re: db or similar store, anyone?

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: db or similar store, anyone?
Date: 30 Jun 2004 00:36:36 -0700

Ian> Another objection is that there is no way to _inject_ an article in
Ian> IMAP, because it's wired for mail; one has to do some side trick in
Ian> the mail transport to make posted articles appear in the IMAP
Ian> store.  Or am I wrong?

Christopher> The IMAP APPEND command is used to create new messages in a
Christopher> mailbox.

Hmm OK you're right.  I was misled by the following sentence at the start of
RFC 1730:

   IMAP4 does not specify a means of posting mail; this function is
   handled by a mail transfer protocol such as [SMTP].

Christopher> If the end goal is a fast database store, investigate
Christopher> DB-backed IMAP servers.  (But Please, Eris, Not ZF
Christopher> Rkpunatr).

Ian> What and where are these?  All I know about is dbmail, and the SQL
Ian> databases it connects to are definitely overkill.

Christopher> Well, there's the one I mention above (rot 13), which I am not
Christopher> seriously advocating.

LOL.  And what's Eris?

Christopher> UW-IMAP has a pluggable backend mechanism, so a DB backend
Christopher> could be created there without needing to implement IMAP
Christopher> from scratch.

Interesting.  I will look at it, too.

--
"It's not true or not."  A reality show producer (real quote)