Re: bitstream vera sans mono ugly in gnus

From: Peter Petersen
Subject: Re: bitstream vera sans mono ugly in gnus
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:00:51 +0100

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto2005@frank-schmitt.net> writes:

>> Anyway, it would make it that much easier for me to use gnus if I were
>> satisfied with the fonts when reading news.
>
> You should give the Terminus font from
> http://www.is-vn.bg/hamster/jimmy-en.html a try. If you happen to use
> Suse or Mandrake, they ship it.

Frank, thank you, but... I had already checked out that terminus font
before. :-) In emacs it doesn't look pleasant to my eyes either, too
narrow. And either not large enough or too large (like with so many
fonts that are either too small or too large with not enough steps
between...).

Perhaps I should mention that I use a 17 inches monitor and a resolution
of 1024x768.

Somewhere while googling I read that fonts such as bitstream vera sans
mono don't look good in emacs, because emacs doesn't work with Xft,
whereas this font looks great in applications like opera, firefox etc.

Ideas?

thanks
Peter