Re: bitstream vera sans mono ugly in gnus

From: Aidan Kehoe
Subject: Re: bitstream vera sans mono ugly in gnus
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:49:03 +0100

 Ar an ceathrú lá déag de mí Márta, scríobh Peter Petersen:

 > Frank Schmitt <usereplyto2005@frank-schmitt.net> writes:
 >
 > > You could try to get a freetype library with truetype hinting enabled,
 > > perhaps Bitstream Vera Sans Mono looks better then.
 >
 > Hm, sorry, I don't understand what this means in practice... Do you
 > think of something emacs specific? What would it be called?
 >
 > If you mean installing freetype for my Linux system (not just emacs), it IS
 > already installed, and bitstream vera sans mono already looks great,
 > except (among others) in emacs.

Your other applications are using the Xft library, which Is And Ever Shall
Be better-looking than traditional server-side X11 fonts. There’s a CVS
branch of XEmacs that incorporates support for this library; I don’t
recommend using it, because it has yet to be released, but if you’re feeling
adventurous and don’t mind beta software THAT MAY CRASH, that is an
option.
http://www.google.com/groups?threadm=16866.35903.905008.699978%40parhasard.net
for some details on it.

GNU Emacs certainly doesn’t have it in CVS, but it may have a patch kicking
around.

What Frank Schmitt is talking about is the TrueType bytecode interpreter,
part of the TrueType specification.  Because Apple has a patent on this
technology in the US, most Linux distributions ship with that functionality
turned off in FreeType. When enabled for the server-side font renderer, and
when using fonts that support these bytecode hints, display is improved,
though not to the level of Xft.

--
“I, for instance, am gung-ho about open source because my family is being
held hostage in Rob Malda’s basement. But who fact-checks me, or Enderle,