To open links with w3m

From: harry meyers
Subject: To open links with w3m
Date: 20 Apr 2006 23:35:29 -0700

Hi,

I just can't manage it to open links within gnus with w3m and not w3.
I tried it like that

(if window-system
    (setq browse-url-browser-function
          ;;'browse-url-kde)
          'w3m-browse-url)
    (setq browse-url-browser-function
          ;;'browse-url-lynx-emacs))
          'w3m-browse-url))

like that in .gnus (what should be the appropriate way)

(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-w3m)
(setq gnus-button-url 'gnus-w3m-open-url)

with a dirty trick

(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-netscape)
(setq browse-url-netscape-program "/usr/bin/w3m")

nothing worked. Links in mails are opened with w3m, but not links
leading to articles from the summary buffer of mailing lists, nrss
feeds etc. For some time I 'solved' this problem by simply uninstalling
w3. But when I changed to start gnus with starttls it stopped loading
with the following error code:

url-insert-file-contents symbol's function void

A reinstall of w3 helped. With the side-affect that it bravely opens
the links, apparently unstoppable.

Regards
harry