Re: Disconnected from IMAP?

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: Disconnected from IMAP?
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 13:18:50 GMT

Aaron Hsu <arcfide@mac.com> writes:

> When using Gnus, it seems that for some reason, after a period of time I
> am disconnected from my IMAP server

The server you are connecting to might be automatically logging you
out after a certain period of idle time.

> Now, when it tries to reconnect (on a STARTTLS connection), it
> says that it can't connect, and then it refuses to do anything with this
> server.

That shouldn't happen. What does the server buffer say when it does?
Denied?

> I see this when I am writing a long email and I just happen to
> run into trouble there, or if I leave Gnus open for a while and then try
> to get new messages. Running a restart seems to fix the problem, with by
> an explicit quit and then M-x gnus or by issuing the `R' key.

That shouldn't be necessary. In the server buffer hit 'C' to close the
server and then 'O' to reopen it.

Cheers,

        - Joel