info-sather

Re: Problems building Sather 1.2.1 under cygwin

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: Problems building Sather 1.2.1 under cygwin
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 22:31:04 +0100

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 10:39:35AM -0600, Matthew W Markland wrote:
> Given your hint above I dug around a little bit and discovered that the PP
> scripts weren't getting run. I've run them by hand and now the build has
> gone farther.

I wonder why that happened... Well don't mind. in the newest beta, the
PP will not needed any more anyway. (that one will be out in a short while)

> Now I'm curious about how long the build process should take.
> With both 1.2.1 and the 1.3beta2 when the build reaches the point of
> running Boot/sacomp, it sure takes a long time; in fact I let the 1.3beta2
> run overnight and it did not complete. The 1.2.1 build appears "stalled" at
> this point also. My machine is a 266 Mhz Pentium II.

That's definitely too long. Be aware, though, that sacomp needs more than 100M
RAM for compilation! It is not very well designed as will therefore just
consist of one huge process needing that much memory and - what is even worse -
doing memory accesses wildly to any parts of it, defying any effective
swapping.

I have run sacomp on a 64M machine, but for that I needed to close about any
other program. Esp. the X-Server is deadly in that case.

Sorry that problem is not that well documented :-(

Ciao,
Nobbi

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!