Re: Pthread assumption + starting real port

From: Johan Rydberg
Subject: Re: Pthread assumption + starting real port
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 05:30:41 +0100

[I'm new to this list, but would like to make some comments about
 messages posted to the list before my subscription]

Niels Möller <address@hidden>:

> >     mom_message_short_t
> >     mom_message_long_t
> >
> > The first one corresponding to L4's short messages that can be passed
> > in max. 3 registers (more on non x86 platforms) or that can be copied
> > in buffers on non L4 systems.
>
> As the amount of data that fits in a short message varies across
> platforms, one might consider parameterizing the types and perhaps
> also the ipc functions. Like
>
> ipc_send_1() for sending a single word,
> ipc_send_7() for sending seven words,
> ipc_send_4_vm() for sending 4 words and some memory pages.
>
> At each use of ipc (in the code), it should be obvious which call to
> use. On L4/x86, ipc_send_4() would be a macro expanding to something
> that sends an L4 long message, while on L4/sparc it it would send an
> L4 short message.
>
> Does that make sense?

I really don't think this make sense. It may be the best solution for
Hurd/L4, but I thought that the reason for libmon was to make GNU/Hurd
portable to ANY microkernel, correct ?

--
Johan Rydberg, Net Insight AB, Sweden, +46-8-685 04 00

$ ON F$ERROR("LANGUAGE","ENGLISH","IN_MESSAGE").GT.F$ERROR("NORMAL") -
             THEN EXCUSE/OBJECT=ME